Unlike cats, dogs are not obligate carnivores and, ideally, we incorporate some fruits and veggies into their diet. However, can soursop be considered a healthy treat for dogs?
Well, the answer to the question is not a straightforward YES or NO. While soursop is not toxic for dogs, there are some risks it can expose our dogs to.
In this blog post, we have revealed the benefits and risks attached to feeding your dog with soursop. It is up to you to weigh the advantages and disadvantages carefully to finally decide whether or not you should feed your dog with soursop.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
What is Soursop?
Soursop also known as Graviola or Guyabano is a fruit originating from the tropical regions of America and the Caribbean.
It has a greenish coarse bark and white edible flesh. It also has seeds embedded in its pulp. The seeds are bigger compared to orange seeds, but it is fewer in number.
Just from the name “Soursop”, you can already determine what this fruit tastes like.
What Are the Nutritional Values of Soursop?
This fruit is not a very popular one and a lot of research and experiment hasn’t been carried out on it. However, based on personal research, this fruit contains nutrients that are considered healthy for dogs.
Below are the nutrients contained in Soursop:
- Calcium: Soursop contains a very high amount of calcium. For every 10mg of soursop your dog eats, he obtains 60mg of calcium from it. Calcium is an essential mineral that helps dogs build stronger bones and teeth.
- Potassium: This fruit also contains Potassium in large quantities. Potassium which is a helpful mineral also helps dogs maintain normal body conditions. However, this fruit lacks sodium, and excessive intake of the Soursop fruit will lead to Sodium–potassium imbalance in your dog’s body.
- Vitamin C: Soursop contains vitamin C. This mineral is very vital to a dog’s health. It boosts their immune system thereby making them immune to certain diseases. It also helps them fight bacteria, promote healthy skin, and maintain their lustrous and healthy coat.
- Fiber: this fruit also contains dietary fiber which has no nutritional value but helps in preventing constipation and also eases the movement of undigested food down the gut.
Is There Any Complication If Dogs Eat Soursop?
We have revealed the nutritional benefits of soursop to dogs. Now let’s move to the demerits of feeding your dog with soursop. Although this fruit doesn’t contain any toxic compounds, it can still expose your dog to health complications.
Below are the inedible parts of soursop and how they can expose your dog to health issues:
- Seeds: Soursop has a big seed that can block your dog’s digestive tract. So, ensure this fruit is served to your dog without the seeds.
- The leaves: The leaves of this fruit contain a harmful chemical known as annonacin. This chemical is a neurotoxin which is very toxic to your dog.
- Soursop contains oil which may irritate your dog’s stomach. This oil can trigger allergies in your dog and also lead to eye inflammation.
- Excessive intake of this fruit can also lead to stomach upset and diarrhea in your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Soursop?
Now to the main question “Can dogs eat soursop?”. After weighing the merits and demerits of feeding our dogs with this food, we will say YES, dogs can eat soursop. However, it is important to serve this fruit to our dogs properly.
Ensure you remove the inedible parts which are the seeds, bark, and leaves, and serve only the edible whitish pulp to your dog.
And again, be careful not to overfeed your dog with this fruit. Overfeeding can cause stomach upset and also expose your dog to the risk of having diarrhea or obesity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Soursop Safe for Dogs?
Yes, this fruit is safe for dogs. However, not all parts of this fruit are edible. Ensure you scoop out the seeds before giving your dog this fruit to eat.
What Fruits Are Safe for Dogs?
Feeding your dog with only kibbles might be recommended by breeders but this is not effective compared to including natural fruits and vegetables in your dog’s diet.
These are the best fruits that are 100% safe and nutritious for your dog:
These fruits listed above are highly nutritious and 100% safe for your dog. Endeavor to include these natural fruits in your dog’s diet to help him live a healthy life.
Can Dogs Eat Guava?
Yes, guava is a highly nutritious fruit which is good for dogs. However, ensure you remove the seeds before giving them to your dog. Additionally, do not feed your dog with guava in excess because it contains sugar and will make your dog obese in no time.
Soursop which is also known as Graviola or Guyabano is a highly nutritious fruit for your dog. However, not all the parts of this fruit are edible. Ensure to remove the seeds, leaves, and bark anytime you want to serve to your dog.
I believe this article has been able to answer your query “can dogs eat soursop?”.
You can help share this article with your friends and on your social handle to help enlighten more people about this fruit.
Before you go, you can also read: Can Dogs Eat Kumquats?