There are a lot of changes in the behavior of dogs while they are pregnant, some might tend to be weak and they will always lay on the bed like couch potatoes while some tend to be more energetic and will always want to jump around.
However, should your pregnant dog be allowed to jump around? Keep reading this article because in this wonderful piece, I will answer a lot of questions concerning pregnant dogs. one of the questions we will emphasize mostly is “can a pregnant dog jump around?”
Without further ado, let’s dive into the main reason for this article.
Can a Pregnant Dog Jump Around?
Yes, a pregnant dog can jump around but it is not recommended for your pregnant dog to keep jumping around.
Pregnancy can be physically demanding for dogs and engaging them in strenuous and high-impact activities might expose them to a lot of complications.
A pregnant dog that is always jumping around or highly energetic can easily fall and lose her balance and this can expose her and her puppies to health issues.
Highly energetic pregnant dogs are also prone to developing pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus that can lead to miscarriage or death of puppies.
A jumping pregnant dog might also be exposed to abdominal hernia; this is a condition whereby the muscles of the stomach are excessively elongated. This health issue is life-threatening, and it can lead to the eventual death of the dog.
Why is my Pregnant Dog Jumping Around?
The answer to the question “can a pregnant dog jump around” is YES.
Your pregnant dog can jump around due to overexcitement, anxiety, or simply because she is feeling happy and comfortable.
A pregnant dog jumping around might also be a sign of discomfort, this mostly occurs when the dog is experiencing muscle contractions due to pregnancy stress.
You shouldn’t be surprised when your normally highly energetic pregnant dog is also jumping around.
When you notice that your pregnant dog is jumping around, the best thing you should do is to consult your veterinarian, this will help you eradicate any health risks, and also you will get to learn about how to properly care for your pregnant dog.
Best Exercise for Pregnant Dogs
Your pregnant dog must not be exhausted or tired out with too much stress. However, exercise is still essential for her.
Exercising your pregnant dog will help her improve her muscle tone and also aid the growth of her puppies. It will also help your dog get rid of the risk of being obese.
Here are some of the exercises you should consider helping your pregnant dog live a healthy life:
Catch or Fetch
Catch or fetch is a low-impact exercise that will help your dog maintain her muscle tone. It will also ease the delivery process.
This game is fun and not too strenuous.
However, you may have to stop playing this game with your dog about 4 weeks (one month) into the pregnancy.
Another wonderful and low-impact exercise for pregnant dogs is swimming. It helps the dog to support its weight and also helps to stretch its joints.
However, you should always supervise your dog when in the swimming pool, you should also consider buying a kiddy pool or a dog specialized pool for your dog instead of using the normal big swimming pool.
Hide and Seek
This game is just like catch or fetch, it is also a low-impact exercise and it won’t tire out your dog easily.
This game helps to stimulate your pregnant dog physically and mentally.
This low-impact exercise will make your dog more flexible and also help her to maintain her muscle tone.
If you take a deep look at these exercises listed above, you will notice that all of them are low-impact exercises that won’t easily tire out your pregnant dog.
Benefits of Exercise to pregnant dogs
There is a lot of benefits exercise provides for pregnant dogs. some of these benefits are:
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Pregnancy leads to weight gain in dogs and this can lead to obesity and other health-related issues. Exercise helps pregnant dogs maintain a healthy weight, reducing the risk of obesity and other related health problems.
- Promoting strong muscles: Your pregnant dog needs additional muscle to be able to carry the growing puppies. Exercise helps your dog to maintain her muscle tone.
- It helps to improve cardiovascular health: Exercise helps to improve the cardiovascular health of your pregnant dog. This will enable your Pregnant dog and her puppy to grow healthily.
- Reducing stress: Exercise can help reduce stress in pregnant dogs, which is important for the well-being of both the mother and the puppies.
- Improving mental health: Exercise helps to stimulate pregnant dogs mentally. Hence, reducing the risk of depression and anxiety.
- Promoting good sleep: Exercise can help pregnant dogs sleep better, which is important for their overall health and well-being.
Tips for Exercising Pregnant Dogs
Exercise is important for pregnant dogs, it helps to stimulate them mentally and physically and also helps to improve their muscle tone. However, you should not overdo it.
Engage your pregnant dog in only low-impact exercises and you should also be observant enough to know when your dog is tired and need to rest.
Here are some tips for exercising pregnant dogs:
- Avoid Hot weather: Exercising your dog in hot weather conditions can easily make your dog tired. These dogs are also prone to overheating and they might suffocate and pant excessively when exercising in hot weather conditions.
- Avoid High-impact exercise: High-impact exercise such as running, jumping, and agility training should be avoided totally. These exercises can cause miscarriage in your pregnant dog.
- Don’t force your dog: Always be observant, pay attention to your dog’s energy levels and abilities, and let them decide the intensity and duration of the exercise.
- Consult your vet: Before engaging your pregnant dog in any sort of exercise, kindly consult your vet’s advice first. They will tell you whether it is safe or not for your dog. They might also recommend some exercises for your pregnant dogs.
Safety Precautions for Pregnant Dogs (Things you should do and things you should avoid)
When it comes to taking care of pregnant dogs, it is truly not an easy job. It requires your time, knowledge, and dedication.
Here are some of the safety precautions for pregnant dogs:
- Ensure you don’t engage them in strenuous exercise
- Feed them with proper diet and nutrition
- Provide a safe and comfortable environment for them
- Exercise them with caution
- Keep allergens or toxins such as chemicals, and insecticides away from them
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Walk My Pregnant Dog?
Yes, you can go for a walk with your pregnant dog. However, you should ensure that the walk is not intense.
What are The Things You Should Do While Walking your Pregnant Dog?
If you want to walk your pregnant dog, here are some of the things you should do:
- Avoid a steep or hilly road.
- Go on a walk with only the pregnant dog.
- Reduce the distance of the walk.
- Make the walk slow and steady.
Will Walking your Pregnant Dog Facilitate Labour?
No, walking your dog won’t induce labor. Intense walking of pregnant dogs might even lead to complications during labor or even harm the puppies.
The ecstatic feeling dog owners undergo when their dog is pregnant can’t be overly emphasized. However, the pregnant dog comes with extra responsibilities.
This article was solely made to answer the question “can a pregnant dog jump around?” However, I was able to incorporate a lot of other things you need to know about pregnant dogs.
The shortest answer to the query “can a pregnant dog jump around?” is YES. Nonetheless, ensure they don’t jump too much because intense jumping will expose your pregnant dog to a lot of complications.