The love we have for our furry friends has clouded our eyes and we seem to care less about our environment.
This is very bad because we are gradually exposing our ecosystem to threats and degradation.
As a pet owner, I understand that loving your furry friends and providing them with all their needs such as food, toys, and accessories is important. But do so to care about your environment also.
Most of these dog toys and accessories are made from plastic which pollutes the environment by contaminating land, water, and air, and harming wildlife.
Plastic is also non-renewable; hence it spends thousands of years in landfills reducing the quality of our environment.
You might be saying it is just a bowl. Yes! It is just a bowl, but it contributes to plastic pollution, and not only that, it can also release harmful chemicals into our pet’s food and this can lead to poisoning.
Fortunately, there are plenty of eco-friendly alternatives to plastic pet bowls and they include stainless bowls, bamboo bowls, ceramic bowls, and recyclable plastic bowls.
In this article, all you need to know about these eco-friendly alternatives have been revealed and you will also get to know about their importance and why you should opt for them.
Without further ado, let’s dive in!
Why Should I Avoid Plastic Bowls for My Pets
According to the United Nation Organizations, over 400 million tonnes of plastic go into landfill each year.
This number is outrageous, and we aim to reduce it drastically. And one of the ways we can do that is by reducing our pet’s carbon pawprint.
Plastic pet bowls might be cheap and also stylish because it exists in different colors, you still need to avoid them.
Here are some of the reasons you should avoid plastic pet bowls:
- Plastic bowls can leach chemicals into your pet’s food and water, which can be harmful to their health over time.
- Plastic bowls are prone to developing scratches and cracks, which can harbor harmful bacteria and make it difficult to clean them thoroughly.
- Plastic bowls can be difficult to recycle and contribute to the growing problem of plastic pollution in the environment.
- Alternative materials such as stainless steel, ceramic, and glass are more durable and safer for your pet to use.
Eco-friendly Alternatives to Plastic Pet Bowls
Stainless Steel Bowls
The stainless-steel bowl is the best among all the eco-friendly alternatives I will be talking about.
It might not be aesthetic like other bowls, but it is more durable, and it offers more value.
It can last for a very long time without getting spoilt or deformation.
This bowl is also recyclable, and it won’t end up filling up the landfills like the plastic bowl.
However, this bowl needs to be washed regularly to avoid the growth of bacteria called biofilm. This should not be a problem because stainless steel bowls are dishwasher friendly.
You can easily toss them into the sink and wash them within seconds.
If you want to purchase this bowl, ensure you get it from a reputable source, and ensure it is also lead-free to avoid lead poisoning.
Here are the Pros of Stainless-steel bowl:
- It is Durable and long-lasting.
- It is non-toxic and easy to clean.
- It is resistant to scratches and rust.
- Dishwasher-safe and recyclable
Here are the Cons of stainless-steel bowls:
- Maybe less aesthetically pleasing than other materials
Bamboo Pet Bowls
This is another eco-friendly alternative a good pet owner should consider.
Bamboo is a sustainable material that grows quickly and does not require pesticides or fertilizers to grow.
These bowls are also lightweight and very easy to clean. Although it might not be as durable as other pet bowls it is still a very nice choice.
It is made from a sustainable material that is also renewable. It is also non-toxic and it won’t release harmful chemicals into your dog food.
Here are the Pros of Bamboo pet bowls:
- It is made from a sustainable material that grows quickly without chemical additives.
- It is lightweight and easy to clean.
- It is Aesthetically pleasing.
Here are the Cons of Bamboo pet bowls:
- It may not be as durable as other materials.
Ceramic Pet Bowls
Another eco-friendly option you can opt for is ceramic pet bowls. Many pet owners love these bowls because of how beautifully it is usually made and designed. However, this bowl is not strong and with just a little fall or collision, it can break.
However, it is a nice option, it is made from a natural material, it also hinders bacteria growth, and it will keep your dog’s food and water fresh and healthy for a good period.
Here are the Pros of Ceramic pet bowls:
- It is Durable and long-lasting.
- It comes in a variety of colors and designs.
- It is very easy to clean and maintain.
- It is made from natural materials.
Here are the Cons of Ceramic pet bowls:
- It can break easily if dropped.
- It may be heavier than other materials.
Eco-Friendly Ways to clean your pet’s Bowl.
You must clean your pet’s bowl regularly this is because bacteria can easily build up on it.
Cleaning your pet’s bowl should also be done sustainably. This means you should use natural products and avoid soap that contains harsh chemicals.
Here are some of the eco-friendly ways to clean your pet’s bowl:
- Use vinegar and baking soda: Mix equal parts of vinegar and baking soda to create a paste. Apply this paste to the pet’s bowl and scrub it with a brush. Rinse the bowl with water and let it air dry.
- Use lemon juice: Squeeze some lemon juice onto the bowl and use a scrub brush to clean it. Rinse the bowl with water and let it air dry.
- Use hydrogen peroxide: Mix hydrogen peroxide with water in equal parts and soak the bowl for 10-15 minutes. Scrub the bowl with a brush and rinse it with water. Let it air dry.
- Use salt: Sprinkle salt onto the bowl and scrub it with a brush. Rinse the bowl with water and let it air dry.
- Use eco-friendly dish soap: Use eco-friendly dish soap to clean the bowl. Rinse it with water and let it air dry.
As a responsible pet owner, we should always try to reduce our pet’s carbon footprint and contribute to a sustainable future for our planet.
One of the ways we can achieve this is by avoiding the usage of plastic pet products and opt for eco-friendly ones.
Plastic pet bowls are harmful to the environment and can be hazardous to our pets.
However, several eco-friendly alternatives such as stainless steel, ceramic, and bamboo bowls are available in the market and they are 100% safe for our pets and the planet.
By choosing any of these eco-friendly alternatives, we are preventing our pets from ingesting harmful chemicals that might be contained in plastics.
Not only that, but we are also making Paw-Sitive impact on our environment.
Before you go, you can also read: Sustainable dog grooming tips for healthier pets.