A lot of dog owners get confused when it comes to buying or choosing collars for their dogs. This is because it can be quite challenging and devastating if you end up using the wrong dog collar for your dog.
However, due to the incessant questions dog owners ask about their dog collars, I was able to visit a qualified dog trainer to make inquiries about the differences between the martingale collar and the choke chain collar and also the best one to opt for between the two collars.
Without further ado, let’s get into the main reason for this article:
The martingale dog collar is a type of limited-slip collar that is used for training and controlling dogs. It is designed in a way that it tightens when the dog tries to pull away from the leash, but not to the extent of choking the dog.
The martingale collar has two loops, the bigger loop which is always around the dog’s neck, and a smaller loop which is connected to the bigger one through a small D ring. The leash is usually connected to the smaller loop.
The dog breeds it is suitable for:
The martingale dog collar was mainly created for dogs with larger necks and smaller heads that can easily slip out of the traditional or normal collars.
Some of these dogs include:
Chain collars, also known as choke chains or slip collars, are a type of collars that consists of a metal chain with two loops. One loop is placed around the dog’s neck, and the other is attached to the leash.
This collar is mostly used by dog trainers to train aggressive dogs, the chain has no safety mechanism, and it can keep tightening your dog’s neck till it reaches a point of choking this is why you should not use this collar on your dog if you don’t have good knowledge about it.
The use of chain collars should be done with caution, as they can cause injury if used improperly.
This is why a lot of dog trainers do not recommend this chain rather they prefer positive reinforcement to train your aggressive dog.
Additionally, it’s essential to never leave a chain collar on a dog unsupervised, as they can pose a choking hazard.
The dog breeds it is suitable for:
This chain serves as a means of punishment for aggressive dogs such as:
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Pitbull Terrier
- German Shepherd
- Cane Corso
However, I won’t still recommend this chain for your aggressive dog because positive reinforcement should be the best way to take care of aggressive dogs.
Making use of choke chains might lead to accidents that you never wish to occur.
Differences between Martingale Collar and Choke Collars
There are a lot of differences between the Martingale collars and dog choke chains.
Here are some of the differences:
- Purpose: The purpose of these two collars are different. The Martingale dog collar serves the purpose of fitting perfectly into the neck of dogs with smaller heads e.g. Greyhounds. While the Choke chain, on the other hand, is mainly used in the correction of a dog’s bad behavior and is also used in walking aggressive dogs that might tend to misbehave while on a leash.
- Design: Looking at the design of these two collars, there are also differences. The Martingale Collar is usually made of leather or nylon for a softer texture to provide a comfortable feeling on your dog’s neck. It also has two loops, the bigger one which is around the dog’s neck, and the smaller loop connected to the bigger loop with the aid of a D string. While for the choke collars are made basically from metals.
- Effectiveness: The Martingale Collar provides a comfortable feeling and also gentle control while training your dog. The choke chain on the other side uses a more abrupt correction method.
- Safety: The Martingale collars are generally considered safer than choke chains, as they are designed to tighten but not choke the dog. Choke chains can cause injury if used improperly and should be used with caution.
- Training Method: The Martingale dog collar is usually used with positive reinforcement to train dogs for effective results while the choke chains are used in conjunction with correction-based training to make a dog well-behaved.
- Comfortability: The Martingale collar is more comfortable compared to the choke chains. Martingale collar is made with leather and nylon which won’t press against your dog’s neck aggressively like the choke chains.
Martingale Collar Vs Choke chains – Which is better?
With the differences listed above, you can easily choose the one that best fits your need.
However, the Martingale dog collar is considered safe and more humane when it comes to training dogs.
It provides a gentle reminder to your dog not to pull the leash, and it also tightens when necessary but it won’t reach the stage of choking your dog.
Choke chains, on the other hand, use a more abrupt correction method and can cause injury if used improperly. They are often used in correction-based training, which can be controversial and less humane than positive reinforcement training methods.
I will choose the Martingale dog collar for my dogs. However, your preference might be different.
Whichever one you decide to choose. I will advise you to seek professional advice and guidance first.
Choosing a suitable dog collar for your dog can be challenging. However, if you are thinking about going for a Martingale collar or a choke chain, this article should have enabled you to make the best decision.
The criticism about the Martingale collar is less compared to the criticisms attached to the choke chains. This is because of the choking effect of the choke chains on the neck of dogs if tightened too much.
You should also observe your dog’s behavior and neck regularly while using any of these collars on them.
If you notice any discomfort or injury around their neck, then I will advise you to discontinue the use of the collar.
Before you go, you can also read: How to Stop Food Aggression Among Dogs