Dogs are known for their insatiable appetites and their ability to beg for a taste of whatever we are eating. However, should I give my Dog Gushers?
Many of us enjoyed eating gushers during our childhood. This colorful fruit-flavored snack is 100% safe and it is considered a delight to humans. However, not all human foods are safe for our furry friends.
While gushers are safe for human, it is not safe for dogs. It has some negative impacts it can have on our furry friends.
In this article, we have revealed the correct answer to this query “Can dogs eat gushers?” We have also listed some healthy alternatives that are 100% safe for our dogs.
Keep reading to get all the necessary information about Gushers and Dogs!
What Are Gushers?
Gushers is a bite-sized fruit snack with a soft candy shell (outer layer) and a burst of fruity, jelly-like center.
They come in various flavors such as fruit gushers, strawberry, tropical punch, and grape and they are marketed primarily towards children as a fun and tasty treat.
The soft candy shell is made of fruit and the jelly-like center is usually made of artificial colorings, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup. The inner layer also contains food additives such as glycerin, sodium benzoate, and other chemical substances.
Analyzing all these ingredients, you can easily deduce that gushers are not safe for dogs and should be avoided at all costs.
Can Dogs Eat Gushers? – Is it safe for Dogs?
Gushers do not contain any ingredient toxic to dogs. However, this treat is still not safe for our furry friends.
It contains additives such as artificial colorings, high fructose corn syrup, and also some preservatives. These ingredients can affect your dog’s digestive system, making your dog vomit, or develop stomach upset.
Gushers also contain sugar and corn syrup, which may contribute to weight gain, dental issues, diabetes, and other health complications in dogs.
With all these being said, the answer to the question “Can dogs eat gusher?” is NO! This tasty treat has nothing beneficial to offer to our furry friends.
What Are the Nutritional Benefits of Gushers to Dogs?
As responsible dog owners, we should not feed our dogs just to fill their bellies, rather, we should feed them so they can obtain the necessary nutrients.
With that being said, Gushers do not have any nutritional value it offer to dogs. Therefore, it should be avoided.
What Are the Risks of Feeding Your Dog with Gushers?
When it comes to feeding dogs with gushers, the cons attached to it are greater than the pros.
Gusher is not nutritionally dense and it lacks basic nutrients for dogs. It also contains additives and artificial sweeteners that can lead to different health complications in dogs.
Let us analyze the ingredients in gushers and how they can affect our dog’s health
- Artificial Colors and Flavors: These additives have no crucial nutrients in them, they are only added to the treat to make it colorful and sweet. These additives can also trigger your dog allergies and even cause indigestion in dogs.
- Corn Syrup: This ingredient is another source of sugar, and it can lead to an increment in the blood sugar level of your dog. It can also promote health issues such as obesity.
- Sugar: Gushers contain a high amount of sugar. When you give your dog this treat to eat, it might lead to unhealthy weight gain, tooth decay, and diabetes.
Healthy Alternative for Dogs
Gushers contain high amounts of sugar, artificial colors, and additives; therefore, it is not safe for dogs. However, there are a lot of healthy fruits you can give to your dogs.
Here are some of the healthy alternatives your dogs can enjoy instead of Gushers:
- Apples: Dogs love apples, and they’re a great choice. Apples are rich in fiber, which can help with your dog’s digestion. Plus, they contain vitamins A and C, which are good for their skin and immune system. Just remember to remove the seeds and core of the apple as they can be a choking hazard.
- Blueberries: These little berries are like nature’s candy for dogs. They’re packed with antioxidants, which can help fight off diseases in your pup’s body. Blueberries are also low in calories; this means feeding your dog with blueberries won’t expose him to obesity.
- Bananas: Bananas are a hit with most dogs. They’re loaded with potassium, which can help keep your dog’s heart and muscles in the right condition. They’re also a good source of vitamins like B6 and C. Just be sure to peel the banana and feed it in moderation due to the natural sugar content.
- Watermelon: When it’s hot outside, watermelon can be a refreshing treat. It’s mostly water, so it helps keep your dog hydrated. Plus, it’s full of vitamins A, B6, and C. Be sure to remove the seeds and rind before sharing them with your pet.
- Strawberries: Another healthy fruit you can share with your pet is strawberries. It is a very sweet and juicy option. It is high in fiber and vitamin C, which can be good for your dog’s immune system and overall health. To help your dog chew and digest this food effectively without choking, kindly help him cut it into pieces before serving.
Can Dogs Eat Gushers? The straightforward answer is NO, avoid feeding your dog with gushers. This fruit snack is not safe for dogs as it contains excess sugar, artificial colors, preservatives, corn syrups, etc.
All these ingredients listed above are capable of causing distress in our dogs. The artificial colors and preservatives can cause digestive issues in dogs and also trigger their allergies.
Corn syrup and sugar can increase their blood sugar level and also cause tooth decay and obesity in dogs.
If you are willing to serve your pups with fruit-based treats or fruits, here are some of the fruits you should give your dog. They include apples, blueberries, bananas, watermelon, etc.
Before you go, you can also read: Can Dogs Eat Hush puppies?