My Curious Dog ate a biodegradable poop bag – What should I do?

my dog ate a biodegradable poop bag

Dogs are known to be energetic and quite inquisitive; the color of your poop bag may be alluring to the extent that your dog will want to know what the bag is all about.

This inquisitiveness might make your dog chew on the bag. However, is there anything to worry about if this happens? Keep reading to find out!

As a dog owner, I understand that it’s important to ensure the well-being and safety of your dog. However, accidents can still occur even with the best of intentions.

When your dog consumes a biodegradable poop bag is one such instance, forget the fact that these bags are designed to degrade and decompose, you need to take proper care of your dog because ingesting this bag can be fatal.

This article will cover what to do when your Dog eats a biodegradable poop bag and steps you can take to avoid this situation in the future.

Without further ado, let’s dive in.

The Effects of your Dog Eating Biodegradable Poop Bags.

a sick dog

A biodegradable poop bag eaten by your dog could have detrimental effects on its health.

Although, these bags are made to degrade over time, they might not do so at a rate that won’t harm your dog’s digestive system.

There are a lot of complications attached to ingesting biodegradable poop bags by your dog. All these complications need urgent attention because they can be fatal if left unattended.

Here are some possible consequences of your dog eating a biodegradable poop bag:

1. Constipation:

Constipation is the most frequent issue brought on by ingesting a biodegradable poop bag.

Your dog is likely to experience nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pain due to ingesting this bag.

2. Blockages:

The dog’s digestive tract is narrow, and it is designed to transfer semi-liquid foods. However, biodegradable poop bags are solid and might not be able to pass through your dog’s digestive tract easily.

If this occurs, there will be blockage of your dog’s digestive tract and if this is not treated urgently, it could be fatal.

3. Toxicity:

Some biodegradable poop bags contain substances that are poisonous to dogs if consumed. For instance, cornstarch-based bags might contain a lot of mold, which is dangerous for your health.

63.4 million households in the US have dogs, according to a survey by the American Pet Products Association. The chance of accidentally ingesting a biodegradable poop bag is high because there are so many dogs living in homes.

Always keep an eye on your dog when they are outside and dispose of poop bags properly to avoid this happening.

What you Should Do When A Dog Eats A Biodegradable Poop Bag.

It is important to act swiftly once you noticed that your dog have eaten a biodegradable poop bag.

To protect your dog’s health and safety, you need to act right away because not doing this may lead to a more serious complication.

Here are the actions you can take to assist your dog get rid of this bag off his bowel:

1. Make contact with your veterinarian:

a dog taken to see the vet.

Consulting with your veterinarian is the first thing I will be recommending. This is because with your vet, the level of risk will be reduced.

Your vet will help you detect the severity of the situation, he will also advise you on the best course of action.

He may also have your dog examined just to make them vomit in order to get rid of this bag.

2. Watch your dog carefully:

When you notice that your dog might have eaten a biodegradable poop bag, you need to be more observant during this period.

Pay close attention to their behavior and action. If you notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty in breathing etc.

You need to seek veterinary care immediately.

3. Prevent future occurrences:

If you want to stop your dog from consuming a biodegradable poop bag in the future, think about using a scoop or shovel as an alternative to picking up after them.

If you must use a bag, be sure to properly dispose of it. You may also have to learn the proper ways of keeping your dog’s poop bag until garbage day

Is it important to visit a veterinarian when your dog eats biodegradable poop bags?

Yes, it is best you visit the veterinarian immediately you noticed that your dog has eaten a biodegradable poop bag.

While some dogs may pass the bag without any problems, others might have serious problems that call for medical attention.

When deciding whether to see a veterinarian, keep the following things in mind:

1. Severity of symptoms:

It’s critical to seek veterinary care as soon as your dog exhibits symptoms of distress, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy. These signs could point to a blockage or another serious problem.

2. Size of the bag:

If your dog is a large breed and the bag is small, they might be able to pass it easily. The likelihood of a blockage is higher if the bag is large or your dog is a small breed.

3. Time since ingestion:

Your veterinarian might be able to induce vomiting to remove the bag if your dog consumed it within the last two hours.

However, if more time has passed, the bag might have entered the intestines, making removal more challenging.

How long does it take for a plastic bag to pass through a dog?

Ingesting plastic bags puts dogs at serious risk because they can result in intestinal blockages or perforations in the intestines.

The time needed for a plastic bag to pass through a dog’s system varies, it depends on some factors such as the size of the bag, the size of the dog etc.

Here are some of the factors that determine the time of passage of plastic bag in your dog’s digestive tract:

1. Small bags:

A small plastic bag that your dog ingests may pass through their system in a day or two. This is not a guarantee, and complications are still possible.

2. Large bags:

A dog’s digestive system may require several days or even weeks to process larger bags. The bag may occasionally get caught, causing a blockage or perforation.

Complications can still occur even if the bag is able to pass through your dog’s system. For example, the bag may cause irritation or inflammation in the digestive tract, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.

Why does my Dog eat biodegradable poop bags?

Dogs have a natural urge to chew and ingest objects, especially the ones that looks enticing and smell nice.

There are a few potential factors that can contribute to your dog chewing on this bag, it might be because the bag is at a location where they can easily access, or the color and scent of the bag is inviting.

Let’s explain this vividly. Below are the reasons why your dog might chew on biodegradable poop bag:

1. Smell & Texture:

Due to the special materials used in making these bags, they tend to have a stronger aroma that can attract dogs.

The texture of this bag is also different from that of traditional poop bags. It tends to be softer and chewier.

2. Easy Accessibility:

If biodegradable bags are left outside or are not properly disposed of, dogs may simply have easy access to them.

Rarely, dogs may consume non-food items like biodegradable bags because of underlying medical conditions like pica, a disorder that causes them to crave and consume non-food items.

Ingestion of foreign bodies is a common problem for dogs, with young dogs and particular breeds being more prone to doing so.

According to a study published in the Journal of Small Animal Practice. The key to keeping your dog safe is prevention.

Be sure to properly dispose of biodegradable bags, and keep a close eye on your dog whenever they are outdoors.


If your dog ingests a biodegradable poop bag, you should take action right away and keep an eye out for any distress behaviors.

Even though biodegradable bags are made to decompose more quickly than conventional plastic bags, your dog could still experience health problems if they consume one.

It’s important to take precautions, such as proper disposal and supervision, to stop your dog from getting access to biodegradable bags.

You can keep your dog safe and healthy by giving him the proper care and attention. To reduce the risk of ingestion, always dispose of biodegradable bags properly and keep an eye on your dog when they are outdoors.



0 Comments Add comment

Leave a comment